Did you know that there are more virtual servers worldwide than there are physical servers?
“Virtual machines continue to vastly outnumber physical machines,” according to IDC (Report #252841). The authors of the report went on to say that “the gap between the number of virtual machines and physical machines continues to expand and continues to throttle server hardware shipments. Virtualization has changed the way customers interact with and purchase server operating systems.”
If your environment is like most organizations, you probably run your applications on a combination of different types of servers. All of that data needs to be backed up and Mozy can help you do it with minimal administrative overhead.
Mozy can back up common server-specific applications found in 32-bit and 64-bit Windows servers and Mac OS X servers. Mozy also supports Linux distributions CentOS, Debian, Red Hat, and Ubuntu. In addition, Mozy provides backup for your VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V virtual servers.
Mozy for servers simplifies data protection and is particularly suitable for smaller server workloads such as those at remote and branch offices—where data is oftentimes not adequately protected. Our recent release of backup software for vSphere highlights our ongoing dedication to protecting your server data and expands Mozy’s server portfolio to protect your VMware virtual environment.
Centralized management from vCenter makes it easy to back up your VMs’ critical data from the pane of glass that you are accustomed to. And the replication technology in Mozy backup is superefficient so it doesn’t bog down your network. Mozy leverages VMware Change Block Tracking (CBT), which means that only changes to the machine need to be backed up. That reduces the time and amount of data that needs to be transferred to complete backup jobs to the Mozy cloud. In addition, the Mozy Admin Console lets you centrally manage all of your server backups, whether physical or virtual. And your VM data is always fully encrypted before it’s transmitted, during transmission, and while at rest in the Mozy cloud.
Mozy features include:
• Centralized management from vCenter for all VMs: backups, restores, and backup management
• Efficient backups: block-level change tracking for minimal data transmission to cloud
• Compression of the data before transmission to the cloud
• Encrypted transmission of data to the cloud and at rest: corporate key support
• Full restoration of a VM to a new computer or the same computer
• Backup history that lets you restore the most current backup or an earlier backup
• Efficient rollback restore of VM: only differences are download from cloud
• Scheduled or on-demand backups
• Control over network bandwidth usage: bandwidth throttling
• File Level Recovery of files from VM
• Data Shuttle for fast seeding of data to cloud
• Media restore for restore of many VMs from the cloud: smoking crater scenario
Want a set-and-forget automatic backup solution that you don’t have to constantly monitor? With Mozy you can schedule your backups to run daily, weekly, or monthly, or automatically throughout the day, as frequently as every two hours for automatic backup. Need to maximize your budget for backup? Mozy requires no capital expenditure for hardware, very little up-front cost, and has minimal administrative overhead.
You might be asking yourself, “Sounds good, but how much is all of this going to cost me?” There is no separate charge for vSphere backup software within Mozy. So if you’ve already purchased the server add-on package with MozyPro or MozyEnterprise, then you’re covered and your vSphere backups will be treated the same as your Windows or Linux server backups. Based on your existing Mozy service, you are charged only for the amount of front-end storage you’ve purchased. When you need more storage, you buy more. It’s that easy.
Mozy cloud backup: a cost-effective way to protect your servers—virtual or otherwise.