For the first time since 2006, we’re adjusting the price of our MozyHome service. As part of this change, we’re replacing our Unlimited backup plan. The backup market has changed since we introduced MozyHome Unlimited in 2006, and our new plans are designed to help us continue serving the data protection needs of our customers.
Category Archives: Announcements
Mozy and Cisco announced today that they have developed a joint solution to provide data protection through online backup to Cisco Smart Storage devices. Mozy for Cisco Smart Storage is now available as an integrated solution on the NSS 300 family of Cisco devices. Through the Smart Storage device, Cisco customers can now add online backup, powered by Mozy, a low-cost strategy for making sure data is accessible, protected and able to be restored when and where it’s needed.
Two Layers of Data Protection
With the Cisco network-attached storage device (NAS), you can easily create a localized storage system as well as an offsite backup for disaster recovery and data protection. Simply select the files you’d like to store on your device as well as online in Mozy’s secure global datacenters. Adding online backup to your NAS device means you’ll now have two layers of redundant data protection, keeping your information secure and available where and when you need it.
Integrated for enhanced ease of use
Mozy online backup is integrated into your Cisco Smart Storage device, so no download is necessary. To activate, go the Backup menu of the Cisco Smart Storage interface, select the Mozy icon to get started. Various plans are available for purchase starting as low as $145 annually.
How to buy
Want to get started using Mozy for Cisco Smart Storage? Select the Backup icon on the Smart Storage device to be walked through the purchase process. Don’t have a device? Contact your local Cisco reseller to purchase the NSS300 with a side order of Mozy online backup. Find a Cisco reseller in your area here.
Need more information?
Contact the Mozy for Cisco Smart Storage team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org for any Cisco/Mozy-related question.
Here at Mozy, we’re proud of our Mac legacy. We were the first online backup company to offer online backup to Mac, and we’re still dedicated to providing the very best online backup experience that you can get on your Apple computer. So with that said, we’re excited to announce our latest Mac client release: Mozy 2.0 for Mac! This release includes:
- An all-new design that fits seamlessly with the overall Apple user experience.
- A new and better settings and configuration experience.
- An easy on/off switch for automatic backups
- A new query builder to make creating advanced backup rules incredibly easy.
- A new and improved setup assistant to make your Mozy install even simpler.
- Additional information is now available in the status bar menu – things like the ability to see the last 20 files that were backed up and the next 20 files to be backed up – all with the click of your mouse.
- Better file scanning leveraging the existing awesomeness of the Leopard and Snow Leopard OS.
- Overall speed and stability improvements.
- And much, much more!
So go ahead and check out the download link, or just wait for your client to autoupdate, and enjoy the new awesomeness that is Mozy 2.0 for Mac:
You can learn more about the Mozy 2.0 for Mac release at our Mozy 2.0 for Mac page. As always, we welcome your feedback and questions, so feel free to post a comment or submit to the Mozy Customer Portal.
Thanks for backing up with us, and be safe!
In 2009 Mozy was voted one of the best companies to work for in the state of Utah. I’m pleased to announce that we’ve been recognized again for 2010! The details will be in the December issue of Utah Business Magazine. The following are some of our company values that have helped us get to this point along with a few specific examples of how they’ve been put into action:
- Customers first – Here’s a quote from a recent interaction between our support team and one of our customers:
“I just want to let Mozy know how absolutely fantastic it was to deal with Jessica at your Live Chat center. I am a techno idiot and she was extremely patient and reassuring. She went way above and beyond to help with with my issues. One of my most dreaded tasks (even more than going to the dentist or doctor) is contacting tech support. This is the first time I did so without having a homicidal ideation.”
- Innovation – Check out my last post about innovation as well as the one about our open source projects. We’re working on some great innovative stuff here and promising even more in the pipeline!
- Quality – We use Net Promoter score as one of our indicators for customer satisfaction with our products. When we introduced our Win 2.0 client we saw a material increase in our Net Promoter scores. In addition to the streamlined user interface and faster upload speeds, the overall quality of the release has helped increase our customer satisfaction. Yeah for Mozy Win 2.0! P.S. – Did you know we’re working on a Mac 2.0 release right now too? Stay tuned!
- Teamwork – Since there are a few of us who like to ride bikes at Mozy we made some jerseys and wore them as we rode in this year’s Utah Lake Century Epic Ride (ULCER). We enjoyed that pain so much that a few of us created our own biathlon event this Fall. We rode our bikes from the Mozy office in Pleasant Grove to the Timpooneke trailhead at the base of Mount Timpanogos. We left our bikes with one of our team members while we hiked/ran to the top (11,749 feet) and then ran back down. We then rode our bike up and over the scenic byway called the “Alpine Loop” and back to the office. And there are many other examples of Mozy teamwork both in and out of the office.
The things that make Mozy great in Utah are also present across our other locations in Washington, Ireland, the UK and China. All of this comes together to make Mozy an awesome place to work, and the awesomer the workplace, the awesomer the product gets! If you’re interested in working at Mozy, check out our careers page and send us a resume!
Five hundred entries
Who would have imagined it?!
Difficult to choose
Some made us chuckle
Some cleverly created
Some were just out there
But we loved them all!
Thanks for the entertainment
And sharing your skills
Announcing the three
Winners of cash and great fame!
- System seems cozy
Until malware is nosey
Glad I have mozy
-David von Arb
- Found secret e-mails,
So his lap top learned to fly.
Hope he had mozy.
- Drive fried, files Inside
with many thanks to mozy
for saving my hide
And other favorites
No cash, but a little fame
Were also favorites
- Deleted work files
Adventurous nine year old
No match for Mozy
- Where for art thou files?
Six feet under dead and cold
Should have got MOZY
- Nothing. Nada. Zilch.
Once desktop but now doorstop.
All memory gone.
- The hot blond’s email
is somewhere on my hard drive.
Backup for true love.
- Photos fill our lives
Shh, it happens to hard drives
Mozy rescues all
- What was lost is found
Mozy down Memory Lane
Order is restored
- Mozy lets me save
my cat, Phil, from a house fire
and leave my PC
- Mozy: My hero
Until this awful contest
Made me like Haiku
- Is this email real?
“Hello from your old Girlfreind.”
Boot Sector is fried.
- Not just kilobytes
My life’s work and memories
Locked in a dead box
- I smell the ozone,
Smokey tendrils from the fan,
Was that my last click?
- Notebook slides from lap
Does not land like falling leaf
Autumn brings no joy
- Hard drive hacks hair-ball
Bits vanish into ether
“No backup”, I wail
- If my computer
had a mouth, i would punch it
Please help me Mozy
The popularity of Mozy online backup confronts our developers with intense engineering challenges. Consider the scale that Mozy handles:
- More than 1 million total customers
- 60,000+ business customers
- 50+ petabytes (or 50+ million gigabytes, if you prefer) of data
- Customer data stored in multiple data centers around the globe
These numbers increase every day, relentlessly pressing us to keep refining Mozy’s storage infrastructure for faster throughput and more efficient storage.
Five years ago, Mozy was an aspiring startup with a vision for an affordable way to make data loss a thing of the past. We could not have achieved this goal without the availability of high-quality, freely available, open source software. We have relied upon, and contributed to, numerous free software projects to build the Mozy business.
Today, we step beyond simply contributing to existing projects with the public debut of Mozy Code. Mozy Code’s roots began with an internal program for fostering innovation among Mozy engineers called Mozy Labs, started in 2009. It soon became apparent that some of these internal projects could be of value to developers outside of Mozy for use in their own endeavors. For that reason, we have begun to identify some of our most promising and useful innovations, to make them available as Mozy-lead free software projects.
With Mozy Labs’ debut, we introduce two projects focused on high-speed I/O operations:
Mordor is an I/O library based on fibers that allows you to focus on performing a logical task, instead of how to make that task conform to a specific threading/event model. It provides lightweight, easy-to-use abstractions for complex concepts, while still providing superior flexibility. It can be used to build high performance network servers or simple data processing applications.
- Ruby Protocol Buffers
Originally created by Google, Ruby Protocol Buffers provides a way to encode structured data in an efficient yet extensible format. This library is optimized for rapid encoding and decoding, enabling high-performance communication between Ruby and C++ systems.
You can find out more about these first two projects on the Mozy Code website. Keep an eye out for future projects as we grow our list of projects.
What? You haven’t thought of haikus since the 5th grade?! Well, that changes now. We want to see your best Frightful Computer Haiku, and we’re giving 100 bucks to our three favorites. Need a refresher on how to create a haiku? It’s simple. Line one is five syllables, line two is seven syllables, and line three is five syllables. Here’s one of our own as an example:
My hard drive hiccups
Fear for our precious photos
Wife would have my head!
To submit your Frightful Computer Haiku, add it as a comment on this blog post. If you really want to get us to notice them, post them to Facebook or Twitter with a link back to our blog post (use the hashtag #mozyhaiku if you’re on Twitter)! Good luck and get original! We’ll post winners on Friday, October 29, 2010. One entry per person, please.
Mozy has always been a pioneer in the online backup space. We’ve brought numerous innovations to market, ranging from our super-scalable multi-petabyte architecture to a simple user interface that keeps your data protected automatically and securely. We’ve been the first mover in many areas, including online backup for the Mac and local backup integrated with online backup. We’ve also innovated in terms of our business strategy by proving that a single product line can fulfill the needs of organizations ranging from my local bike shop to one of the world’s largest and most admired companies. We’ve also proven that small companies acquired by larger ones can continue to exist and even thrive post-acquisition. (Thanks EMC!) I am proud to be part of Mozy because of what we’ve done, and as we look forward, I’m very pleased to pre-announce some of the exciting innovations and improvements that are on the near-term horizon:
- A totally revamped restore experience. After all, the most important part of what we do is returning your data to you when you need it. Did you know that we restored 96,941,938 files for our customers via the web and physical media (e.g., DVD) last month? If you include restores handled directly by our Mozy client software, the number becomes well over 100 million! (I was going to cite a number for the year, but there were too many ###’s and the spreadsheet blew up.)
- The ability for our valued resellers to co-brand the Mozy service for their customers. Did you know that we have 4,500 resellers around the globe? (Thanks resellers!)
- Expansion of our service to new geographies with full language translation, localization and support. Did you know that we have customers in over 100 countries? (Hier kommen wir!)
- Features that go beyond online backup and allow you to leverage the data you’ve secured with Mozy for more than just recovering from a disaster. Did you know that a wildfire in grassy, flat terrain can scorch 3,000 acres in an hour? (Don’t worry, we’ll always keep our “backup & restore” value proposition even as we expand the business!)
We love to hear from our loyal fans and I’m sure there are a lot of questions about when all of this great stuff is going to happen. The short answer is that everyone is heads-down keeping everything running smoothly and working on all of the new stuff at the same time, but we can’t announce solid dates just yet. Just know that there will be detailed communication via our newsletters, press releases and website collateral at the appropriate times. Anyway, I simply couldn’t pass up the opportunity our marketing team gave me to use our blog as a forum in order to share my personal excitement about where we’ve been and, more importantly, where we’re going. Thanks and be safe!
VP of Operations
We recently kicked off a new and exciting chapter in the history of Mozy with the launch of Mozy.fr. Following the recent successful launches of Mozy.co.uk and Mozy.ie, the launch of Mozy.fr represents the first localized Mozy website on the European continent and is the first time Mozy has been available for purchase directly, on a Mozy website, in a language other than English. Fittingly, Mozy France was launched before an audience of enthusiastic journalists and bloggers at the Carpe Diem Café in downtown Paris. In true Parisian style, the food was exceptional and the conversation engaging.
So why did we pick France for the first release for a non-English version of Mozy? Having two native French speakers on staff is always helpful, but the market opportunity in France was also hard to ignore. One trend that we’ve noticed since first launching Mozy more than 4 years ago has been the growing global demand for our backup services. Even though our website, software, and support has only been available in English until now, a significant number of our millions of users come from countries outside of the USA. In fact, there are happy Mozy users in more than 100 countries around the world! With a tech savvy population of over 62 million and an increasing number of requests from our fans in France, we felt it was time to return the favor and make Mozy website, software, and support available in their native tongue. Furthermore, our Mozy.fr, Mozy.co.uk, and Mozy.ie customers benefit by having their valuable data secured at an EU based data center.
What’s next for Mozy? Stay tuned. Without giving too much away, we expect to launch Mozy websites in 2 additional countries this year with many more to come in 2011. As long as we have delighted users demanding our services, we’ll do our best to return the favor. Did I mention we have staff who speak…
I just stuck my head out the window, and to quote John Madden, “it’s hittin’ weather.” And if it’s “hittin’ weather,” it can mean that we’ve just been charged with a misdemeanor, or it’s time for some for football. Here at Mozy, we love four things:
- Backing up our customer’s important data
- A warm crepe, the New York Times and a 1963 Chianti
- Hall & Oates 1982 masterwork “H20”
- Fantasy Football
In fact, we’re so excited for the upcoming football season that we want to involve twelve of you to join us in a season long, fantasy football-fest. We’ll be running the league from our corporate offices, and have twelve openings for team managers. Email us at email@example.com and let us know why we should select you for one of these twelve coveted spots as well as letting us know which NFL team you root for. We’re picking the participants on Tuesday, so make sure you email us before then (automatic snake draft happens on Wednesday). And remember, we will only select the most dedicated, ferociously feverish fans to join us.
The winner will receive bragging rights and the following prize package:
- 200,000 Delta SkyMiles to fly to any NFL game, anywhere in the WORLD Delta flies
- An official NFL jersey of your choice. Signed by Mozy!
- Some free Mozy accountage
- A hearty slap on the back
There will also be occasional weekly prizes for those teams that feature great performances by backup players, killer stats from the bench, or other incredible feats.
Why are we doing this, you ask? Well, besides the fact that both football and Mozy are awesome, we love backups of all types. In fact, some of our favorite backups are in the NFL. Chester Taylor, Felix Jones, Mark Brunell, and our own personal favorite, Sage Rosefels. One day you backups will rise up and dominate! Just like our own Mozy backups do.
So what are you waiting for? Request your own team and get ready to travel the world with your newfound fame.