Backup Awareness Month: Once a Year Isn’t Enough
June is Computer Backup Awareness Month. At Mozy, we are encouraged that there is a “holiday” about something we obviously consider to be very important. However, backing up files one month a year is a little bit like brushing your teeth just one month a year. In order for it to be effective, it must be done every day, all year round.
If that sounds daunting, it doesn’t have to be. Here’s what we believe at Mozy:
- Backup should be painless. No one wants to spend their whole weekend backing up files. The truth is, if backup takes too long, it won’t get done. You should only need to set up backup once, and then it should work automatically.
- Your files should be secure at all times. Your files should be absolutely secure at all points in the backup process with military-grade security encryption. Your backup program should encrypt your files before they leave your network, and then store them in a secure, remote location that’s only accessible to you.
- Your backups should be smart. Your backup system should be smart enough to back up the files you want, and to only back up new data and parts of a file that have changed. It should even be able to back up open and locked files.
- You should be able to access your files anytime, anywhere. Getting your data back should never be a battle. Whether it’s from your home computer, from work, or traveling to another location, you should be able to access your data from anywhere ‑ easily and securely. After all, it is your data.
- Backup should be constant: You can set the terms for how and when backup should be done, but it must be done regularly and continuously.
A lot happens in a year. Pictures, taxes, your business’ financial statements and reports: all significant documents that must be preserved. One month of being aware isn’t enough. Make sure your backup is working for you every day of the year.