What? You haven’t thought of haikus since the 5th grade?! Well, that changes now. We want to see your best Frightful Computer Haiku, and we’re giving 100 bucks to our three favorites. Need a refresher on how to create a haiku? It’s simple. Line one is five syllables, line two is seven syllables, and line three is five syllables. Here’s one of our own as an example:
My hard drive hiccups
Fear for our precious photos
Wife would have my head!
To submit your Frightful Computer Haiku, add it as a comment on this blog post. If you really want to get us to notice them, post them to Facebook or Twitter with a link back to our blog post (use the hashtag #mozyhaiku if you’re on Twitter)! Good luck and get original! We’ll post winners on Friday, October 29, 2010. One entry per person, please.
Mozy has always been a pioneer in the online backup space. We’ve brought numerous innovations to market, ranging from our super-scalable multi-petabyte architecture to a simple user interface that keeps your data protected automatically and securely. We’ve been the first mover in many areas, including online backup for the Mac and local backup integrated with online backup. We’ve also innovated in terms of our business strategy by proving that a single product line can fulfill the needs of organizations ranging from my local bike shop to one of the world’s largest and most admired companies. We’ve also proven that small companies acquired by larger ones can continue to exist and even thrive post-acquisition. (Thanks EMC!) I am proud to be part of Mozy because of what we’ve done, and as we look forward, I’m very pleased to pre-announce some of the exciting innovations and improvements that are on the near-term horizon:
- A totally revamped restore experience. After all, the most important part of what we do is returning your data to you when you need it. Did you know that we restored 96,941,938 files for our customers via the web and physical media (e.g., DVD) last month? If you include restores handled directly by our Mozy client software, the number becomes well over 100 million! (I was going to cite a number for the year, but there were too many ###’s and the spreadsheet blew up.)
- The ability for our valued resellers to co-brand the Mozy service for their customers. Did you know that we have 4,500 resellers around the globe? (Thanks resellers!)
- Expansion of our service to new geographies with full language translation, localization and support. Did you know that we have customers in over 100 countries? (Hier kommen wir!)
- Features that go beyond online backup and allow you to leverage the data you’ve secured with Mozy for more than just recovering from a disaster. Did you know that a wildfire in grassy, flat terrain can scorch 3,000 acres in an hour? (Don’t worry, we’ll always keep our “backup & restore” value proposition even as we expand the business!)
We love to hear from our loyal fans and I’m sure there are a lot of questions about when all of this great stuff is going to happen. The short answer is that everyone is heads-down keeping everything running smoothly and working on all of the new stuff at the same time, but we can’t announce solid dates just yet. Just know that there will be detailed communication via our newsletters, press releases and website collateral at the appropriate times. Anyway, I simply couldn’t pass up the opportunity our marketing team gave me to use our blog as a forum in order to share my personal excitement about where we’ve been and, more importantly, where we’re going. Thanks and be safe!
VP of Operations
We recently kicked off a new and exciting chapter in the history of Mozy with the launch of Mozy.fr. Following the recent successful launches of Mozy.co.uk and Mozy.ie, the launch of Mozy.fr represents the first localized Mozy website on the European continent and is the first time Mozy has been available for purchase directly, on a Mozy website, in a language other than English. Fittingly, Mozy France was launched before an audience of enthusiastic journalists and bloggers at the Carpe Diem Café in downtown Paris. In true Parisian style, the food was exceptional and the conversation engaging.
So why did we pick France for the first release for a non-English version of Mozy? Having two native French speakers on staff is always helpful, but the market opportunity in France was also hard to ignore. One trend that we’ve noticed since first launching Mozy more than 4 years ago has been the growing global demand for our backup services. Even though our website, software, and support has only been available in English until now, a significant number of our millions of users come from countries outside of the USA. In fact, there are happy Mozy users in more than 100 countries around the world! With a tech savvy population of over 62 million and an increasing number of requests from our fans in France, we felt it was time to return the favor and make Mozy website, software, and support available in their native tongue. Furthermore, our Mozy.fr, Mozy.co.uk, and Mozy.ie customers benefit by having their valuable data secured at an EU based data center.
What’s next for Mozy? Stay tuned. Without giving too much away, we expect to launch Mozy websites in 2 additional countries this year with many more to come in 2011. As long as we have delighted users demanding our services, we’ll do our best to return the favor. Did I mention we have staff who speak…
I just stuck my head out the window, and to quote John Madden, “it’s hittin’ weather.” And if it’s “hittin’ weather,” it can mean that we’ve just been charged with a misdemeanor, or it’s time for some for football. Here at Mozy, we love four things:
- Backing up our customer’s important data
- A warm crepe, the New York Times and a 1963 Chianti
- Hall & Oates 1982 masterwork “H20”
- Fantasy Football
In fact, we’re so excited for the upcoming football season that we want to involve twelve of you to join us in a season long, fantasy football-fest. We’ll be running the league from our corporate offices, and have twelve openings for team managers. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know why we should select you for one of these twelve coveted spots as well as letting us know which NFL team you root for. We’re picking the participants on Tuesday, so make sure you email us before then (automatic snake draft happens on Wednesday). And remember, we will only select the most dedicated, ferociously feverish fans to join us.
The winner will receive bragging rights and the following prize package:
- 200,000 Delta SkyMiles to fly to any NFL game, anywhere in the WORLD Delta flies
- An official NFL jersey of your choice. Signed by Mozy!
- Some free Mozy accountage
- A hearty slap on the back
There will also be occasional weekly prizes for those teams that feature great performances by backup players, killer stats from the bench, or other incredible feats.
Why are we doing this, you ask? Well, besides the fact that both football and Mozy are awesome, we love backups of all types. In fact, some of our favorite backups are in the NFL. Chester Taylor, Felix Jones, Mark Brunell, and our own personal favorite, Sage Rosefels. One day you backups will rise up and dominate! Just like our own Mozy backups do.
So what are you waiting for? Request your own team and get ready to travel the world with your newfound fame.
Thousands of technologists attend VMware’s annual conference VMworld to increase their skills and discover what exciting new things the company is working on. One of the technologies previewed in San Francisco today by VMware’s Chief Technology Officer Dr. Stephen Herrod involved Mozy.
What Herrod unveiled was VMware’s “Horizon” project—a tool that will help busy IT administrators simplify the lives of the end users they serve. When an end user logs on from any Horizon-managed computer, he can access every application that has been assigned to him. These applications could be Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) applications, like Google Docs or Salesforce.com. But they can also be traditional desktop applications, such as Microsoft Word, which get installed on demand when the user needs them using VMware’s ThinApp technology.
So what does any of that have to do with Mozy? Traditional desktop applications store their data by saving files onto a local or network drive. But in an organization where employees might move from computer to computer (either from desk to desk, or from work to home), you need your files accessible across devices and locations, and that is where cloud storage comes in.
Storing files securely in the cloud is exactly what Mozy does, so we were delighted to support the Horizon team with technology that synchronizes the user’s files between the Mozy storage cloud and the local computer. This technology complements Horizon, fulfilling the cloud’s promise of complete mobility for end users, not only for SaaS applications but for desktop applications, too—along with the user’s files.
We were pleased to work with VMware in support of the VMworld preview of Horizon, and hope to continue collaborating together on promising projects.
As we march our Mac client ever closer to its 2.0 release, we’re still publishing updates to improve the performance of our existing client. We’re getting close to releasing our latest Mac version (1.8) and we’re looking for a few good beta testers. If you’re interested and prepared to give us great feedback on this latest version, go to http://mozymacbeta.questionpro.com and fill out the brief survey there. If you’re accepted as a beta tester, you’ll be notified and sent download instructions for the new client. Thanks in advance for your help!
FINAL UPDATE: The contest has concluded. Winners are as follows:
1TB drive and free year of Mozy
Free Mozy T-shirt
For more information on how the contest ended up, check out the Mozy 2.0 Twitter Contest Leaderboard.
To celebrate the release of Mozy 2.0 for Windows, we’re having a trivia contest! For the next week, we’ll be asking a series of trivia questions based on the theme of “All things 2.0.” We’ve gotten creative with our trivia, so get ready for some craziness! Here’s how it’ll work:
- The contest starts today, May 18, at noon MST. After that, we’ll be asking one question an hour via our Twitter account, from 10 AM MST to 4 PM MST every day for a week. (If you don’t have a Twitter account, you can sign up for one here.)
- The first person to tweet to @mozy with the correct answer(s) to our question will receive 5 points. The second person to guess the correct answer will get 1 point.
- Answers must be tagged with the hashtag #mozy2 to be valid.
- The contest will run for one week, so it ends on May 24 at 11:59 PM MST.
- At that time, we’ll tally up the scores and the people with the top 3 point totals will get a 1TB external hard drive to use with Mozy’s new 2xProtect as well as a free year of Mozy!
Feel free to post questions in the comments. Good luck, and be safe!
UPDATE: We’ll now be posting trivia questions outside of the 10-4 MST window so that everyone can participate. Just look for posts with the #mozy2 tag.
UPDATE: The leaderboard is live! We’ll also be throwing some schwag out for random participants, so even if you don’t win the points competition, you could still pick up some awesome Mozy stuff!
In an increasingly globalised world, it’s still nice to get a bit of the local touch, whether it’s eating at your favorite mom-and-pop diner or getting your hair cut at the local neighborhood barber shop. That’s why Mozy is proud to announce the launch of Mozy.co.uk and Mozy.ie! Now UK and Irish customers can take advantage of the power of Mozy without the hassle of having to deal with foreign currency, distant datacenters, and overseas support staff. That’s right! As part of this site rollout, we’ll be providing:
- IE and UK payment processing – Irish and UK customers can use local currency at checkout!
- IE and UK datacenters – No more sending your data from Ireland or the UK across the pond to keep it safe anymore. That means faster upload and download speed, better security, and greater peace of mind!
- IE and UK support – We have sales and support staff in the UK and Ireland to provide a better, more responsive support experience.
So while we’re excited to be moving in a more global direction, we’re even more excited to be providing a more personalised, convenient experience for our customers in the UK and Ireland.
Like it or not, March Madness is upon us. That’s right, we’re into week two of watching so much basketball that our eyes are bleeding. And what will we have to show for it, when all is said and done? For most of us, the answer is maybe a few bucks for a winning bracket and heartburn from all the nacho cheese we’ve consumed over the past few weeks. But what if you could walk away with $1000 and the peace of mind of knowing that even if your team loses and you go on a half-crazed rampage through your house and inadvertently take a sledgehammer to your computer, all your stuff is backed up?
We’re here to make that a reality (the thousand bucks and peace, not the rampage) with the Mozy March Madness Sweepstakes! There are three ways to enter:
- MozyHome Free Customer – If you’re currently using MozyHome Free, all you have to do is upgrade your existing free subscription to MozyHome Unlimited account by 11:59 p.m. Pacific, March 31, 2010.
- MozyHome Unlimited Customer – If you’re currently using MozyHome Unlimited, all you have to do is add an additional computer to your MozyHome Unlimited account by 11:59 p.m. Pacific, March 31, 2010.
- MozyPro Customer – If you’re currently using MozyPro, all you have to do is add an additional desktop or server license to your MozyPro account by 11:59 p.m. Pacific, March 31, 2010.
In each of these entry categories we’ll be giving away:
- (1) Grand prize = $1,000 Visa gift card
- (1) Second prize = $500 Best Buy gift card
- (1) Third prize = $100 Borders gift card
Just log in to your account at Mozy.com to get started!
Contest Terms and Conditions
*You all know what I’m talking about.
**Open to US residents only.
***No purchase necessary, see Contest Terms and Conditions for details.
One of the things we hear about a lot is that customers want to do more with their data than just back it up. Well, today Comcast is announcing the release of Secure Backup & Share, an easy and safe way for customers to share and preserve their digital files. This service is awesome for multiple reasons, including:
- Data backup – Comcast customers will be able to back up their essential files to a remote, secure location via the Internet. All Comcast customers will receive a complementary 2GB account with their subscription, with additional storage plans available.
- Online access – Comcast customers’ backed-up files can be accessed and restored via the Internet – any time, anywhere.
- Sharing – Once their data is backed up, users will be able to share photos, documents, music, and videos with family and friends via an easy-to-use dashboard that’s available across multiple devices.
- One more thing – did we mention that this new service is powered by Mozy?
We’re thrilled to be able to partner with an industry giant like Comcast, and we’re looking forward to being able to provide the peace of mind and convenience of online data backup and sharing to their 15 million customers, starting today.