January is over. How are you doing with your New Year’s resolutions? If you’re like many who made goals about eating better and exercising, your efforts might already be paying off by way of a few lost pounds. As a result, you’re probably feeling better. You might even be enjoying mental clarity with that new-found energy that results from a healthier lifestyle.
Here’s something else that should add to your mental clarity: Mozy. That’s right. Mozy means peace of mind. And when it comes to backup, who doesn’t want peace of mind? After all, backup means protecting information and files that might not otherwise be replaceable should they ever be lost, whether by accident or some unforeseeable catastrophe. And speaking of peace of mind, here’s an interesting bit of recent cloud backup news that may not instill peace of mind for those who are currently backing up or even those who are still considering purchasing a backup service: 25 percent of cloud service providers will be gone by 2015, and acquisitions and bankruptcy will be the two primary reasons for their demise, according to research firm Gartner. “One in four vendors will be gone for whatever reason—acquisition, bankruptcy,” said Gartner analyst William Maurer as quoted in a Computerworld article. That should cause anyone who relies on cloud services to seriously ponder the question, “How strong is my cloud service provider?” and “Will it still be around next year?” And if you’re currently in the process of choosing a cloud service provider, Gartner’s research is no less unsettling. After all, how do you confidently choose a cloud service provider when there is a 25 percent chance that it might not even exist by the end of next year?
That should cause anyone who relies on cloud services to seriously ponder the question, “How strong is my cloud service provider?” and “Will it still be around next year?” And if you’re currently in the process of choosing a cloud service provider, Gartner’s research is no less unsettling. After all, how do you confidently choose a cloud service provider when there is a 25 percent chance that it might not even exist by the end of next year?
“There is real risk,” Maurer added. Gartner also predicts that when last year’s data is in, it will show that the portion of organizations using cloud services will have reached 80 percent. Truly, the cloud is no passing fad. It’s not even the future (though it certainly is in the future for the other 20 percent of organizations not yet taking advantage of the cloud)—it’s today. From the consumer to the SMB to the enterprise, the cloud won’t be blown away by any sudden wind but will become more and more a necessity. To be sure, the nature of backup will continue to change; however, cloud backup will remain a major part of data protection and doing IT efficiently. Recent research shows that public cloud computing services are definitely affecting IT strategy: nearly 80 percent of respondents to one survey report that cloud-hosted apps or cloud-based compute and/or storage services will have a significant impact into their storage-related strategic planning over the next five years.
It won’t surprise anyone to know that people tend to be very careful about their data and files, so trusting a cloud backup service may not be easy. But as a Mozy customer, you can be confident in the strength of the Mozy cloud (especially as you consider Gartner’s recent prediction about the future of 25 percent of cloud service providers and why they’ll be history by the end of 2015):
- Mozy was already acquired (more than six years ago!).
- Mozy is profitable.
- Mozy is part of EMC’s Data Protection & Availability Division and its long-term strategy.
That’s food for thought that will encourage you to rest easy with Mozy—though it may not do too much toward helping you keep your New Year’s resolutions. But continue to eat healthy and exercise anyway. Just knowing that Mozy, your choice in cloud backup, is the most trusted name in cloud data protection should boost your energy levels. And you didn’t even have to say no to your favorite food or put on those exercise clothes. But let’s be clear: we’re not telling you to ignore your New Year’s resolutions. Say no to that piece of pastry! And consider putting on your running shoes and going for a jog at lunchtime. No worries. You can count on Mozy to back you up while you’re jogging, and anytime—this year, next year, the year after….